This recipe courtesy of Allrecipes.com
- 6 lemon peels cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 4 orange peels cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 2 cups of white sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of white sugar for decoration
- Place the lemon and orange peel in a large saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 20 minutes, drain, and set aside.
- In medium saucepan, combine the two cups of sugar and one cup of water.
- Bring to a boil and cook until the mixture reaches thread stage, 230°F (108°C) on candy thermometer, or a small amount dropped in cold water forms a soft thread.
- Stir in peel, reduce heat, and simmer for five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Drain. Roll peel pieces, a few at a time, in remaining sugar.
- Let them dry on wire rack for several hours.
- Store in an airtight container.