Rice and beans offer plenty of nutritional value if prepared with healthy, low-sodium seasonings and eaten in proper portions. Substitute brown rice for white rice and use a can of light kidney beans.
- Brown rice
- Light kidney beans
- Low-sodium chicken broth
- Low-sodium spices
- Chicken (optional)
- Bring your rice to a boil.
- Drain kidney beans thoroughly and rinse before adding.
- Once rice is cooked, place it into a stir fry pan with the light kidney beans.
- Add a few ounces of low-sodium chicken broth to the rice and beans to thicken and add flavor
- Stir in low-sodium spices of your choice.
- Serve with chicken for a high-protein, lower-calorie twist on a traditional rice and beans side dish.